Monday, October 10, 2005

Greg Cary, 4BC Brisbane, interview

Last Friday, 7th October at 4.00, my dad and I strolled into the swanky new 4BC studios at Cannon Hill, Brisbane. I don't know who was more excited: me, the young Media student about to interview one of the most prominent figures in talkback radio in Australia, or Dad, a long-time 4BC listener about to meet the man he previously only new as a phantom of the airwaves between 12.00 and 3.00pm weekdays.

Well, we didn't have to wait long before the excitement started. As we were waiting nervously in the 4BC foyer--like two schoolboys about to meet the lead singer of Green Day--who should walk in but the great Paul Kelly, toting his iconic Maton acoustic guitar! 'Hi Paul, hi Matt (Paul Kelly's producer)' sparked the receptionist as they walked through the glass doors. What a buzz. Paul Kelly was scheduled to play a song from his latest album "Foggy Highway" on John Miller's afternoon program.

Now, to the topic at hand, the interview.

I couldn't have chosen a more obliging, more appropriate personality to interview than 4BC program director and talk show host, Greg Cary. He was happy to talk perceptively and eloquently about anything I asked. I felt as though it was more of conversation and less of an interview. For ethical reasons I can't use any of his quotes here, but I can say that thoughout the entire interview, he was never shy of a word about anything I asked, speaking freely about 4BC's obligation to the community while maintaining corporate interest and success.

The well-known lover of sport seemed more inclined to chat about philosophical issues, speaking of the world as a beautiful place with only some inconsistencies. A stark dichotomy to most talkback announcers who seem to be cynical about everything.

The interview was designed to go for 20mins. It didn't finish until 50mins (no complaints here), after which he kindly guided Dad and I around the studios, introducing us to everybody we came across. We were lucky enough to watch a segment of John Miller's show while he was interviewing Con Sciacca. For the record, John Miller was wearing a very bright pink Hawaiian shirt, I guess he wears them all the time...

Upon leaving, Greg invited me to sit in on is show any time I liked. An offer I'll certainly take him up on.

As a young radio enthusiast, this was an amazing opportunity. I think Dad was pretty stoked too. Thanks Greg!

1 Comments:

Blogger chris said...

Wow, thanks for your comment mate! I had a look at your sites, but unfortunately learned nothing I didn't already know...

2:56 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home